When working with Cogix to troubleshoot a problem with a survey
or a ViewsFlash installation, sending as much information to Cogix as
soon as possible will help speed the resolution. Here is a list of
- viewsflash log - use the link
on the Administration and Setup page to view the viewsflash log.
Download the log or use File >> Save As in your browser to save
the log to a file. If the problem involves a specific survey, also send
that surveys log file.
- Application server logs - send any logs
from the application server. Include both activity and error logs if
possible. The location of application server logs varies from product to
product, consult your server administrator if you cannot get these logs
- Tomcat logs are in <tomcat-home>/logs/
- WebSphere portal logs are in <ibm-home>/WebSphere/PortalServer/log/
Web server logs - when the trouble has to do with missing survey
response data or discrepancies in the survey response numbers, the web
server access logs are a valuable tool.
- /etc/cogix/ldap.properties (if troubleshooting an ldap related problem)
Use the web browser to access
http://yourserver/ViewsFlash/servlet/vfadmin?Diagnose=1 and use File
>> Save As to save the output to a file.
- The output from http://yourserver/ViewsFlash/servlet/vfadmin?cmd=echo
- The output from http://yourserver/ViewsFlash/servlet/vfadmin?dbcmd=dbdirs
the above diagnostics, use /servlet/viewsflash instead of
/servlet/vfadmin if user security is not enabled. If you are not sure,
you can tell if user security is enabled by checking the top of the left
hand side menu of ViewsFlash for "Hello, username" where username is
the name you use to log in.
- Application server and version
- Database product and version, JDBC driver version
- Server operating system and version
- configuration details - is this a load balanced cluster? A single, standalone server? Any other details?
the problem is with a specific survey, use the "[x] Stage to production
server now" box on the publish page to export the entire survey. Send
the .ser files from the export directory to Cogix. These files are
written to the application servers file system, consult with your server
administrator if you don't have access to the files.